a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Friday, June 08, 2012

Meringue Queen

I've never tried to make meringues before last week.  My mum's are the best, crispy yet chewy in the middle -  and sometimes it's not worth trying to recreate perfection.  But I got hold of Lisa Faulkner's cookery book from the library and subsequently got it for my birthday and it had a lot of my mum's classic recipes in - our mums were obviously from the same era.  Lisa Faulkner's mum died when she was little but passed on her recipes.  I'm incredibly lucky to still have my mum about but as time passes I realise that this won't always be the case and one of the things I don't want to lose is the food that I hold dear to my heart from childhood (and adulthood!).
So, coronation chicken was attempted last week, with pretty good results, as well as a chocolate cake which, for the first time ever, I was really proud of.  And of course, those meringues which were, if I say so myself, a pretty impressive attempt - yes they were chewy inside!  They were from my mum's recipe whereas the other 2 were from the recipe book.  I do love cookery books but often don't actually use anything from them, but I have to say this one is really inspiring me to use it.
The next things on the list are Pavlova, Lemon Curd (my mum's recipe) , french onion soup and spicy coleslaw. Bring on the baking!

No comments: