a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Sunday, January 25, 2009

this time last year...

I had pretty much dreaded this month, January is never a particularly positive month, despite all the declarations of new starts, good intentions and resolutions etc.  But even worse was the knowledge that January 2008 was pretty much the best month of my life so far, in that it was carefree, fun and spent in New Zealand!  Comparing that to the humdrum January of 2009 was never going to be easy.  That said, it's not been as hard as I'd anticipated.  I'd had visions of sitting at my desk all month thinking "this time last month....." but actually I've been too busy to think about anything other than work whilst at work, and the moments of recollection have been positive, simply remembering what a great time we had and appreciating the fact that we had the chance to do something so wonderful.

So, on that note I take the opportunity to indulge myself a little this evening, remembering back to this day last year where we were on Day 1 of the 3 day Routeburn crossing.  This 32K tramp over 3 days was a big challenge for me, mentally as well as physically.  I don't do walking, and carrying a rucksack full of my gear was far too reminiscent of my Duke of Edinburgh days to be a pleasant option.  But in reality it was a brilliant experience, knackering but exhilarating with stunning scenery, killer inclines, good company, and in all a real memory to treasure.  The views genuinely took my breath away and to be so far away from the real world made the experience really special.  I was so proud of myself at the end, and still can't quite believe that Paul persuaded me to do it.  In fact, one day I'd like to go back and do a few more of the Great Walks - just don't tell Paul.  
 

No comments: