a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Monday, June 21, 2004

It's a knock-out!

Having popped round to my parents house to drop off dad’s father’s day card I got into a conversation with mum about an article she had recently read. It stated that apparently Redheads have a lower pain threshold than other people and also require a greater amount of anesthetic to keep them knocked out during operations. Apparently my dad had come round during dental surgery many years ago and the dental nurse had sprained her ankle trying to restrain him – (why she was trying to hold him down with her ankles was never explained – we got sidetracked before I could ask!).
Anyway, the point of this story was that I’d mentioned, after looking at a photo of myself ten years ago, how red my hair was then, compared to now. Whilst I accept that the majority of the blondness is due to artificial means, it has also lightened naturally too, and whatever the cause I’m now considered strawberry blonde. My mum is extremely concerned that I may not be recognized as a Ginger if ever I need to have an operation, and that I might wake up due to having too little anesthetic.
I’ve promised to make sure I tell any doctor of my plight (how embarrassing would that conversation be…!), but feel I should now consider the options should it be an emergency. Perhaps a tattoo or one of those emergency bracelets like the ones diabetics wear, saying “ALERT – this girl is a Ginger, even through she’s in denial, please knock her out properly”.

No comments: