a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Saturday, February 23, 2008

turning into a bridezilla

i promised myself that I wouldn't turn into a bride nightmare and get stressed out. I thought I was quite a chilled out person (well people often tell me that) so I didn't really foresee too many problems..... apparently not.....

I had always imagined getting married in a church, not because of the religion thing but simply because thats "what you do"... but with paul and I this causes a bit of a problem. This issue came up on our holiday when we were having a "hypothetical" conversation and Paul confirmed that, being a catholic, he would not really feel comfortable getting married in a Church of England church. I have to admit I was a bit stunned, not having really given this much thought (stupidly), however on reflection I could understand his point. However my equal point was that I didn't really want to get married in a catholic church, mainly for the key fact that I wasn't a catholic, but also( if I am being completely frank here, and in danger of coming across seriously shallow) I believe that us C of E people nicked all the nice churches in the restoration....

so civil ceremony it is to be.... I got my head around it pretty quickly - I do think that I'm a pretty reasonable person and can amend my plans ok if necessary.
So, we get home, he asks me to marry him and we're good to go...

after a fair bit of internet searching and treking round places we seem to have found a venue - I knew it when I came out with a big grin, plus have a possible date.

then comes the problem.

I come home last night and Paul tells me that the only time a registrar can make on that day is 4pm. The only other option is another saturday about a month later at 12 noon (which we can't be 100% sure the reception venue is free until monday although it was free when we spoke to them a week ago).This is not what I have imagined.


So I cry, then a cry a bit more cos I'm mad at myself for crying about something so pathetic and I'm worried that I;m going to spend the next 6 months crying over stupid things and turn into one of those brides-to-be that cause men to be put off asking their girlfriends to marry them.

Anyway, today I think it through calmly, consider the pros and cons with my friends about weddings that start at noon (too long, loads of hanging around, but at least you get a good day for your money) vs weddings that start at 4pm (late so less time but no hanging around). I come home to tell paul I'm ok with the 4pm start, and he says he's ocme to believe that a 12 Noon start would be fine. aaaaargh. this is all too much hard work!!!!!!

at least we agree on the honeymoon............

2 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

I hope all of this works out in the end. I wonder what it is that makes people go nuts when it comes to their weddings, and why women are associated with such behavior specifically. Who knows?

Simon said...

Been meaning to comment for a while but was slightly embarassed at being unobservant.

Congratulations!

Hmm... I'm familiar with both partners going away and coming to terms with the other's point of view scenareo.

We got married on a (slightly inconvenient) Friday, because of the availability of the venue and registrar. We could have had the venue on Good Friday, BUT the registrar wouldn't come because the law forbids getting married on GF or Christmas Day.