a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Monday, October 20, 2008

oh la la literature...

Managed to appreciate a little bit more of the literature festival this week. When I'm old grey and retired I'm going to spend my life "doing" festivals.... edinburgh, hay on wye, cheltenham.... it woudn't be a bad life....

anyway, I digress. Managed to squeeze in a little bit of Dave Gorman and Stuart Maconie. Dave was excellent in nhis usual way, if a little "tortured" on the issue of his use/love of mathematical charts to highlight his points. Whilst I accept that he lives with his life on a daily basis (obvious point) and therefore may get a little sick of the over-emphasis on his use of charts by enthusiastic interviewers, the bottom line is that many of his fans are bascially geeks who also like pie charts and venn diagrams. We all agreed that he was a little bit too critical in this issue. I'm a big venn diagram fan me. They are a great way of describing things, visually if possible, but even in speech, they get the point across really well. Can't help it, just love'em.

After listening to Dave's speech I was amused to find this book on Sunday which I had to buy Paul. Dave, I'm sure, wouldn't be as amused, but it cracked us up.... I heartily reccomend it to any music lovers out there.....

Stuart Maconie was saturday nights entertainment, his discussion on the "north" was typical Maconie... intelligent, articulate, sharp and very very entertaining. Great guy, you just want to be his mate and hit the pub with him for a quality evening of witty banter and stories of the Clash and Edwin Collins..... :-)

2 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

I remember listening to a guy who came to talk at my University when I was a graduate student. He really was a brilliant researcher in his field, but his talk was far from "accessible". His use of overhead projections with diagrams that did not in any way explain the main topic of his talk also left much to be desired.

Karen said...

I finally return to blogging, and find many other bloggers are lapsed...has this media gone out of date since I last used??? Where is everyone now....Bibo?? Facebook??

Is anyone els out there??!!