a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Monday, July 02, 2007

I seem to spiralling into an oblivion of frustration and depression and I really don't know why. Life is good, nothing really to complain about, but I just can't seem to cheer up. It's so frustrating how work can start to take over your life and cloud all the good elements. at the end of the day your job isn't what you are, it's just an element of your life and in my case often a "role" that I play. but the more it sucks you in, and the more time you spend doing it, the more danger there is of it starting to define what you are and how you feel about everything within your life. It seems very hard to achieve a good balance of wanting to be good at your job, and giving your all to it, yet maintaining the energy and enthusiasm for the real stuff outside of the 9-5. (ah, if only it were 9-5!).

just reread that - it's not as bad as it sounds honest! It's sad how so many of my friends also seem to be in this work overload situation. Maybe we're all just at that stage in life/career where it seems to take off, or maybe we're just a bunch of sucessful corporate genuises or maybe it's the way that the world seems to be going, but either way I fear many of us are heading for burn out....

still - the good news is that we didn't get drowed out in the Malvern challenge and I managed to make it round the 5K racecourse yesterday raising over £300 for cancer research. Didn't get a time-check as I was too busy trying to breath at the end to remember to watch the clock but I guestimate around 30 mins which aint too bad.

so in my ongoing quest to maintain running (and give me something other than work to focus on) I have now set myself a goal of a 10K in September. anyone fancy joining me?????????

5 comments:

Mad said...

Well done on your running, but I'll have to pass on your kind invitation... 10K might just kill me off! :-)

pilgrimchick said...

A friend of mine just told me that he intends to try and get himself to the point that he can run a marathon this fall. I wish him the best of luck....

Fraser Stephens said...

I'll join you for a 10k. Just can't do 13th-20th as I'll be in spain biking with the Cranks.

F.

Karen said...

Oh, go on then....if I'm free!!! Need to motivate myslef so sounds like a good idea.

notquiteginger said...

excellent!!! liking the enthusiasm, come on mad, you know you want to!