a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Saturday, March 10, 2007

it's the weekend, the sun is shining, the world is happy and I have a cold. :-(
I'm feeling sorry for myself, sat in my dressing gown on the sofa with only my laptop for company (oh, and Paul I guess, oh and the cats....). my head is pounding, my nose is running and, as per usual on these occasions, my throat hurts and my voice is deeper.... must be about time for my annual voice loss...

the good news is Millie has a cold as well and is amusing Paul and I on regular occasions by her sneezing. hope it's not bird flu... to be fair she hasn't been near a bird in years, that would involve levels of physical exertion way beyond her capabilities.

other exciting news apart from my self-pity is I'm learning Teeline shorthand, in an attempt to keep my brain active and learnt something which will be of use in my daily working life. having to take notes in interviews/disciplinary hearings etc can be quite hard going when you're not skilled at that sort of thing, and I have always said that shorthand should actually be a staple course within HR qualifications, so now I've decided to do something about it and learn it myself. I chose the "not quite as quick as Pitman but easier to learn" option with Teeline which is often used by journalists. It's a challenge but I'm making progress and it's so nice to actually feel like I'm learning a new skill.... not something I've done for ages.

I've just finished reading this book which I recommend to anyone who thinks they're having a bad day. I heard Nando being interviewed by Simon Mayo ages ago and resolved to read the real story of the Andes plane crash rather than just be aware of the bare facts and the media hype. I must now go back and watch the film Alive again, as it's a long time since I saw it.

I'm now onto much more frivolous literary options with Starter for Ten sometimes you just need a bit of light relief. Haven't seen the film but the book already has be doubled up in painful embarassment.

1 comment:

Fraser Stephens said...

No cold, but stonking headaches both yeterday and today pm. Maybe lack of Tea. Work is crazy - although you lots have been doing it for years, so maybe I should just get used to it. Got to learn to switch off when I leave the office (never before 7... and was 10pm on friday...).

Hope you feel better,

F.