a scary insight into the mind of a ginger person

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

update

Ok so what have I been up to????? Well life got a bit hectic there for a while. Work was stressful and I seemed to lurch from one knee-jerk reactive manager to another. So I was really looking forward to a week lounging in the sun on a scout campsite in Kidderminster…. Yeah I wish!
As it happened, I did manage to fall asleep in the one ten-minute space of sunshine within the week – just long enough to burn my nose so at least I did get some kind of a tan out of the holiday. Unfortunately I also got called from work every day bar Thursday which didn’t lead me to manage to relax much. But never mind.

Camp itself was great fun. Work went on as usual. I “supervised” painting in a typical “Haigh” manner and gave encouragement and support to my troops “you’ve missed a bit” “that’s looking great” so I’m sure I added a great deal of value to the whole process. I did feel the need to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty on the odd occasion, I seemed to remember reading in one of my HR management books that it’s good to get down on the shop floor with the workers and show them that you understand their world. But I made sure that I was covered in green/silver paint so that everyone knew I’d done some work.

I spent a couple of hours driving round the West Midlands Safari park along with hoardes of other families. Didn’t take my soft-top car for obvious reasons so wangled Rachel’s company car and got in free as she had a return ticket. Makes the whole experience so much more fun when you know you haven’t paid. The lions and tigers were very impressive, as were the giraffes and camels – camels don’t half look stupid when they run!

Also escaped camp and spent the day with Rich at Symond’s Yat, doing things that we hated our parents making us do when we were kids - i.e. going for a walk and appreciating nature. All very worrying and mature. Next stop national trust membership and thermal underwear.

So now it’s back to dull drudgery of work, with the sun shining outside and my heart a sinking at the mindless crap that people get stressed about in this place. Luckily I have Friday off and am off on a canal boat that evening with a plan for good wine, great company and lots of fun and laughter. Only 2 days to go…..

No comments: